Practical and theoretical frameworks to progress creative intentions
Practical and Theoretical Frameworks to Progress Creative Intentions
I am continuing to use textiles techniques within my work and I am hand stitching and also practising to use my sewing machine. My work is inspired by actresses wearing black at the Golden Globes to stand against sexual assault and harassment against women. I have gathered different fabrics, luxurious and calico, so that I can subtly reference the Golden Globes, without copying the photographs of the actresses and directly referencing it. On 6th of February 2018, it had been 100 years since women in the UK had gotten the vote, so I did a lot of research about it.
I have been researching artists such as; Dame Paula Rego, Cecile Dachary and Sir John Tenniel to inspire my work. Cecile Dachary focuses on the human body, Paula Rego's work is inspired by her hardships and the hardships that women in Portugal faced in reference to backstreet abortions. I watched Paula Rego's documentary and I found it very moving and the process of her work is always based on her experiencing and she will often draw herself or use a model to draw from. She also created sculptures that she will draw from, Paula Rego is an illustrator as her work can be based on fairy tales and her work always has a deeper meaning.
I am trying to push my artwork into a more innovative path by combining digital work, hand stitching and using a sewing machine and using illustration to comment on contemporary and important issues in the media such as; Golden Globes and 100 years since women had the vote in the UK. The women of parliament stood together to show that so many more women were interested and want a say in politics.
Comments
Post a Comment